Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas and Crafting

So, my parents got me a kindle for Christmas. I really thought I never would go to a kindle because I am such a book person...love the feel of books in my hands, the smell of books, finding old books at resale stores, I just really love books. BUT, books take up space and can be pricey and in being consistent in wanting to de-clutter our home a bit, more books isn't really keeping along with that theme. Quite honestly, we have enough books since we homeschool. So, I started thinking a kindle would be a neat idea and I am so excited to have one. I have already downloaded lots of free books. I searched pinterest for the perfect kindle sleeve and found this tutorial. I liked it because it used a few different fabrics and I had a fat quarter stack I picked up on clearance at Joann's that I have been wanting to make something for myself with because I so loved it. :) Elizabeth was kind enough to give me some hints on adjusting the size for my smaller kindle and it worked out perfectly! So, here are a few pictures!
This is the front.
 And here is the back! :)
 Another present I received from my sweet daughter, were these Doodle Stitching books! I am so super excited about these and am looking forward to learning embroidery!
 Here is a sample of the outline stitches that I learned last night (using up random bits of embroidery floss, hence all the colors), it was so fun! :)
So, that is what I have been working on. The next thing on my to-do list is to make a bag for Madelynn's leapster that she got for Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking to my blog and I'm so glad you enjoyed my tutorial! Your cover came out great!

    I have both the Doodle Stitching books and I love them--you'll have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so crafty, sister! ;) I love it! My clumsy self has been looking up cheap covers on sale, like at Best Buy... none will be as cool as yours, but I have to get one before I somehow discover a way to destroy my Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my mom a kindle for Christmas, and thought of buying her a cover, too, but wanted to make sure the liked the kindle first! This sounds like a perfect thing to make for the next gift-giving anything for her!

    ReplyDelete